BRS Insurance BRS Insurance BRS Insurance Spring Safety Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:24:39 EST <p>Spring and Summer Storm Season is upon us and here are a few items you should review from an insurance perspective:</p> <ul> <li>Examine your homeowners/rental coverage as well as auto policies to determine if you need to revise the policy to reflect any improvements or changes that will affect your coverage needs.</li> </ul> <p>&nbsp;</p> <ul> <li>Be sure the coverage is adequate and the deductibles are reasonable relative to your insurance needs.</li> </ul> <p>&nbsp;</p> <ul> <li>Rain, Hail, Lightning and Tornado damage are generally covered in a standard homeowners and comprehensive portion of an auto policy.</li> </ul> <p>&nbsp;</p> <ul> <li>Check on the necessity of flood insurance as the coverage is not included in a routine homeowner or rental policy.&nbsp; The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) can be reached at (800) 638-6620 to learn more.</li> </ul> <p><em>source: Professional Insurance Agents - Ohio Edition April 2012</em></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <ul> <li>Check to be sure your home insurance policy covers sewer backups or sump pump issues.&nbsp; This is generally added under a seperate rider.</li> </ul> <p>&nbsp;</p> <ul> <li>Compile a detailed written inventory of your home and belongings and supplement that inventory with photos or videotape.&nbsp; Keep the information off-premises or in a secure location.</li> </ul> Insure Your Love with Life Insurance Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:38:29 EST <p>We go to great lengths for our loved ones.</p> <p>We work hard to provide them with a life filled with happiness, comfort and opportunity. In fact, there&rsquo;s almost nothing we wouldn&rsquo;t do for our loved ones. We re-arrange our schedules to never miss our kids&rsquo; sporting events. We put in extra time at work to save up for that special family vacation. We rush out of the office to make sure we&rsquo;re home in time for dinner with our loved ones.</p> <p>But what if you died tomorrow and were no longer around to provide for your family? Without your income and all the other things you do for your loved ones, would they be able to maintain their current lifestyle and keep future plans on track?</p> <p>That&rsquo;s where life insurance comes in. It can&rsquo;t put your family&rsquo;s life back to how it was, but it can keep your loved ones in the world they&rsquo;ve always known. So if you think you need life insurance (or more than you currently have), now is the time to do something about it. What can say &ldquo;I love you&rdquo; better than a promise to provide for the ones you love, even after you&rsquo;re gone?</p> <p><em>Story is reprinted courtesy of the Life Insurance Foundation for Education (LIFE), a nonprofit organization. Go to</em><em> <a href="" target="_blank"><em></em></a> </em><em>for information. </em><!-- CONTENT ENDS --></p> College Students and Insurance Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:34:25 EST <h2><span style="font-size: medium;">Property Insurance</span></h2> <p><span style="font-size: medium;">No matter where your college-bound student ends up living, he or she definitely needs insurance to cover theft and damage of personal property, such as a laptop, stereo and bicycle. In a rental, the landlord's insurance doesn't cover their items if stolen or damaged due to fire, theft or other circumstances.</span></p> <p><span style="font-size: medium;">If you have homeowners insurance, your child's personal property is covered if she lives in a dormitory and usually covered if he or she lives off campus, says Bill Wilson, associate vice president of education and research for the Independent Insurance Agents &amp; Brokers of America. Usually most homeowners <a id="KonaLink3" class="kLink" style="position: static; text-decoration: underline! important;" href=";utm_medium=feed&amp;utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxbusiness%2Fpersonal_finance+%28Internal+-+Personal+Finance+-+Text%29"><span style="font-weight: 400; font-size: medium; color: #0000ff; position: static;"><span class="kLink" style="font-weight: 400; font-size: medium; color: blue! important; border-bottom: blue 1px solid; font-family: arial,sans-serif; position: relative; background-color: transparent;">insurance </span><span class="kLink" style="font-weight: 400; font-size: medium; color: blue! important; border-bottom: blue 1px solid; font-family: arial,sans-serif; position: relative; background-color: transparent;">policies</span></span></a> will allot 10% of personal property to a student not living at home.</span></p> <p><span style="font-size: medium;">"So if you have a $100,000 policy, your kid will have $10,000 of coverage," Wilson says. But he advises students to make a list of possessions and estimate their value. "Add up the <a class="r_lapi" href="">Xbox</a>, laptop, TV, bicycle and clothes, and it could be more than you think."</span></p> <p><span style="font-size: medium;">Some student insurance may not cover college kids living by themselves off campus. Check your policy or contact your agent to see if the kids are covered, or consider renters insurance. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, premiums average from $15 to $30 per month, depending on rental location and size as well as the policyholder's possessions. Like a homeowners policy, you can choose between personal property and liability coverage, and cash value or replacement cost coverage.</span></p> <p><span style="font-size: medium;">If your kid is bringing a car to campus, it will be covered under your auto insurance. Insurers still consider college students as household residents just living away from home temporarily. But check if the car's new location will change coverage, Wilson says.</span></p> <p><span style="font-size: medium;">"If your daughter is moving from a rural area to downtown or is parked on the street instead of (in) a garage, your premiums may be adjusted," Wilson says.</span></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> Windstorm - Frequently Asked Questions Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:06:01 EST <p><strong>Due to the recent weahter activity in our area, the following information is provided by the Ohio Department of Insurancae regarding Windstorm FAQs.&nbsp; More information from the Ohio Department of Insurance can be found at <a href=""></a>.</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p><strong>Q: My home was damaged by the windstorm. What should I do?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p><strong>A: </strong>Take the following actions:</p> <ul> <li>Call your insurance company as soon as you can. Be sure your agent knows how to contact you.</li> <li>Take reasonable steps to prevent additional damage if permitted by public safety authorities and if you will not endanger yourself. Call your local utility to let them know of any downed power lines. DO NOT attempt to move any power lines that may have fallen on your property.</li> <li>Keep all receipts for any costs incurred in the course of protecting your property from further damage. Copies of these receipts should be given to your insurance company, since these costs are typically covered by your insurance policy.</li> <li>Closely inspect property and cars for damage. Note and photograph any damage.</li> <li>If required to seek temporary housing, check your policy for &ldquo;loss of use&ldquo; coverage.</li> <li>Be sure everything is considered in your claim. Back up claims with written estimates.</li> </ul> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: I&rsquo;ve contacted my agent, but no one has stopped at my home yet. How long should I have to</strong></p> <p><strong>wait?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: We&rsquo;re asking you to be a little patient. Insurance agents are experiencing an extremely high volume</p> <p>of calls and are filing a record number of claims. If you haven&rsquo;t seen or heard from your agent in a couple</p> <p>of days, call them back or call the company&rsquo;s toll]free claim number. If you still haven&rsquo;t heard from</p> <p>anyone after a week, call our Consumer Services hotline at <strong>800</strong>]<strong>686</strong>]<strong>1526 </strong>and we will attempt to make</p> <p>contact with the agent or company to determine the status.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: I&rsquo;ve heard that my policy deductible is being waived for any damages caused by this windstorm</strong></p> <p><strong>because it was part of a national disaster. Is this true?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: No. Your insurance company will deduct the applicable deductible amount from any claims</p> <p>settlement.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: My food was ruined because the power was out and the refrigerator/freezer wasn&rsquo;t working?</strong></p> <p><strong>Can I make a claim with my insurance company?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Perhaps. You&rsquo;ll have to talk with your insurance agent or review your insurance policy to see if your</p> <p>policy covers food loss due to a power outage. The coverage is typically called &ldquo;Refrigerated Property</p> <p>Coverage&rdquo; and usually carries a special deductible coverage limit.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: If a tree falls on my house, garage, or fence, who is responsible for clean up and repair?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: The person(s) whose property is damaged would file a claim with his or hers insurance company, no</p> <p>matter who owns the tree. A typical homeowners policy will pay to repair the damage to the structure and</p> <p>contents subject to the policy provisions. Your insurer will pay for removal of the tree; however, the cost</p> <p>for removal of the tree is typically limited to $500 per tree or $1,000 per event. This is typically referred</p> <p>to as debris removal coverage in your homeowners policy.</p> <p>Also keep in mind that the typical homeowners policy will not provide coverage to replace any tree that</p> <p>was damaged/destroyed by wind. Debris removal coverage is also typical available for those</p> <p>circumstances when a tree falls and blocks the homeowners driveway or handicap entrance/exit. If your</p> <p>insurer believes that any party (neighbor or city) has any liability due to the property damage, the insurer</p> <p>will subrogate against the other party(ies).</p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p><strong>Q: What if the tree is owned by the city?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: The same rules above apply. However, if the tree belongs to the city, falls but doesn&rsquo;t cause damage,</p> <p>contact the city. The city may take care of or assist with the clean &ndash;up &amp; may decide to replace the tree.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: What if the tree was sick or dead? Can I challenge a claim if I feel the tree should have been</strong></p> <p><strong>maintained or removed before the storm?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Even if the tree was dead and the owner knew it, the same answer as above would apply with respect</p> <p>to filing a claim with your insurance company. If your insurer believes that any party (neighbor or city)</p> <p>has any liability due to the property damage, the insurer will subrogate against the other party(ies).</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: I&rsquo;m worried about a tree on a neighbor's property. I think it might fall. What should you do?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Talk to your neighbor to see if the tree can be trimmed or removed before damage occurs. If your</p> <p>concerns cannot be resolved in a neighborly fashion, check with your city officials to see if they can</p> <p>intervene.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: What about a tree that just falls in the yard? Does the homeowner just pay for that, regardless</strong></p> <p><strong>of whose tree it is?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: If a tree falls in your yard due to wind and no damage occurs to the residence or other structures and</p> <p>the tree is not interfering with the homeowner&rsquo;s driveway or handicapped access, the typical homeowners</p> <p>policy would not provide coverage to remove or replace the tree. If it is your tree, you would be</p> <p>responsible for removal and replacement. If the tree belongs to the city, the city will likely take care of</p> <p>clean]up and decide to replace the tree. If the neighbor&rsquo;s tree falls over into your yard and does not</p> <p>damage, perhaps neighborly cooperation would get the tree cleaned up.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: What about renter's insurance and tree damage?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Typically, renters are not responsible for the structure, but are only insuring the contents. If the renter</p> <p>is responsible for insuring the residence, then the answers would be identical to what has already been</p> <p>provided. If the renter is only responsible for contents, the typical contents policy does still provide</p> <p>similar debris removal coverage as the typical homeowners policy. The renter should always notify the</p> <p>landlord of any structural damage.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: My car was damaged by a falling tree. Is it covered by my insurance?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Damage caused by falling trees is covered under a vehicle&rsquo;s comprehensive section of your automobile</p> <p>insurance policy . If you have that coverage, then you would make a claim with your automobile insurer</p> <p>regardless of who the tree belongs to .</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: A very valuable tree in my yard was destroyed in the storm. Is it covered under my homeowners</strong></p> <p><strong>insurance?</strong></p> <p>A: The typical homeowners policy would not provide coverage to replace the tree, because the loss was</p> <p>due to windstorm. But check your policy or contact your insurance company to see if you have some</p> <p>special coverage.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: A man stopped by my home claiming to be a contractor. He said he could repair my home but I</strong></p> <p><strong>had to pay cash up front. Is this contractor legitimate?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Most likely not. Contractor fraud is something the Department is extremely concerned about. Fly by night contractors come to a disaster area looking to prey on unsuspecting homeowners who are desperate to get their home fixed. Here are some tips on how to avoid being scammed by unscrupulous contractors:</p> <ul> <li>Contact their insurance company to verify benefits immediately after a disaster.</li> <li>Obtain a list of reputable contractors from your insurance carrier, the Better Business Bureau or a specialized consumer organization.</li> <li>Confirm the contractor is licensed, bonded and properly insured.</li> <li>Contact multiple contractors and obtain more than one estimate.</li> <li>Request references from contractors and contact the references to verify work was completed timely and to satisfaction.</li> <li>Obtain, in writing, the terms and conditions of the project.</li> <li>Avoid signing a contract until the document is reviewed fully and/or discuss the terms of the contract with a legal representative or a trusted adviser.</li> <li>Avoid signing a contract that has not been completed fully.</li> <li>Inquire how long the contractor has been in business.</li> <li>Inquire if contractor has local offices and phone numbers (<strong>not </strong>cell phone number).</li> <li>Pay contractor by check or credit card, rather than in cash.</li> <li>Refrain from paying a contractor in full, or signing a completion certificate, until all work has been finished.</li> <li>Do not provide the contractor with your personal information, such as your social security number.</li> <li>Consider hiring a public adjuster for assistance in the negotiation and/or settlement of a claim.</li> </ul> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Q: Where can I find more advice on filing a claim, preparing for severe weather or avoiding</strong></p> <p><strong>contractor fraud?</strong></p> <p><strong>&nbsp;</strong></p> <p>A: Severe weather and home improvement scam toolkits are available on our web site,</p> <p> Consumers with questions can call consumer hotline at 1]800]686]1526</p> <p>For alleged contractor fraud, contact the Fraud Division at 1]800]686]1527.</p>tags: <a href="">Windstorm</a> Welcome to our new website Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:02:17 EST <p>Welcome to our new website.&nbsp; Bush-Re-Shea Insurance Agency would be happy to assist you with any of your current or future insurance needs.&nbsp; Feel free to contact us to discuss how we are able to assist you with a number of your insurance needs for personal, business, life or health insurance.&nbsp;</p>tags: <a href="">Introduction</a>